Mushrooms are expensive in Uruguay (compared to the States), so we don’t cook with them as much as we used to. But, I saw a pretty good price on them at Devoto, so I picked up a large package and that’s where this recipe was born.
This chicken and vegetable stew is a delicious, healthy treat. In addition to being served as a stew as shown in the picture, it would also be great served over rice or pasta. Just add a bit more tomato paste if you’re serving over pasta.
I have mentioned in other recipes (like the chicken taco salad recipe) that we typically reserve the chicken breasts from our roasted whole chickens for a second meal. This is the ideal way to prepare this stew.
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- Heat grape seed oil in a large wok or frying pan over medium-high heat
- Sauté bell pepper and onion until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add garlic and mushrooms
- Sauté until mushrooms are soft, about 3 minutes
- Add chicken, hot sauce, spices and tomato paste
- Sauté until everything is heated through, about 8-10 minutes
Tips and Modifications:
- If you’re looking for a little extra flavor, try topping the stew with some fresh-grated Parmesan.