- Regular Price
- Gringo Price
- Dumb Gringo Price
She also said; "It's perfectly natural to start out with the dumb Gringo price… Because there are a lot of dumb Gringos here who will pay."
It was said in jest, but at the same time there's a lot of truth to that statement.
A lot of people here try to take advantage of unsuspecting Gringos… Yes, I say a lot because of the amount of people compared to the population.
- Real Estate Agents – There are some good real estate agents here… But there are some that aren't. Get referrals.
- "Relocation Specialists" – There are some scum bags down here who will charge you outlandish fees, then take your money and documents and run… Friends of ours just had their birth certificates and all of their important documents taken, along with a chunk of cash they paid for a "relocation specialist" to help them.
- Restaurants – Try to use the Spanish menus where you eat. We've run across a couple of places that gave us English menus where the prices were higher than in the Spanish ones.
- Waiters – When you point out that you didn't order that extra UYU $250 peso dish, they will take it right off… This has happened to us a couple of times.
- Taxi Drivers – Taxi drivers here seem to love to take us for rides or attempt to anyway. This kind of sucks because you are at their mercy if you don't know where you are going. The best way I've found to avoid this is to sit in the front seat next to the driver and hand him written detailed directions of where to go.
- Store Clerks – Either a lot of people here have a hard time counting change or they know exactly what they are doing. What I mean by that is, I've had numerous cashiers short me 5-10 pesos… I typically catch it and I get my money back. It's not that 5-10 pesos is a lot of money, it's the principal behind it.
- Feria Vendors – If a vendor at the open air market can hustle you, they will. Always ask the price when it's not marked. You can usually talk the vendor down in price too.
You can go on the boards at Sociedad Southron and read about people getting taken advantage of.
While, some of these instances are avoidable… There are some things that just aren't.
What kind of Gringo Discounts have you received?