On last week’s Recipe of the Week for Black Bean Soup, I promised that this week’s recipe would be for Chicken Taco Salad. The two recipes go great together for a light, but delicious dinner.
Whenever I make a whole chicken, we typically eat everything except for the breasts the first night, then use the breasts for a separate recipe the following night. This is how I make the Chicken Taco Salads.
You don’t need to use dressing with this salad. The Pico de Gallo, Sour Cream and Mexican hot sauce combine to make a perfectly flavored “dressing.” Enjoy.
- 1 head of lettuce
- 2 chicken breasts, diced (2-3 cups)
- 1 cup black beans
- 3 cups pico de gallo
- 2 cups avocado, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon Ground cumin
- Mexican hot sauce, to taste
- Shred the lettuce and place it into four bowls
- Add ¾ cup pico de gallo to each bowl
- Add ¼ cup black beans to each bowl
- Sprinkle cumin over the diced chicken and mix
- Add diced chicken to bowls
- Add ½ cup diced avocado to each bowl
- Add ¼ cup shredded cheese to each bowl
- Top with ¼ cup sour cream
- Cover with Mexican hot sauce, to taste
Tips and Modifications:
- To make 2 larger servings rather than 4 medium servings, simply double the portions listed in the directions
- When making black bean soup, reserve one cup of black beans for this recipe